The Playgoer: Hello and Goodbye

Custom Search

Monday, September 29, 2008

Hello and Goodbye

by Abigail Katz

Tarell Alvin McCraney
I read a lot of plays. I go to a lot of plays. I go to a good number of readings. It is rare that I come across a playwright whose work I find so compelling, unique and moving that I make a point of seeing or reading their work whenever there is the opportunity. After I saw Tarell Alvin McCraney's THE BROTHERS SIZE at The Public Theater last year I have actively followed his work and career. He has developed a voice and style that plays with form and language (bringing stage directions into the dialogue and storytelling, for example) and through that brings the audience into a world that he has created. What is so wonderful and satisfying is that his devices are not a gimmick in his writing, and they are not necessarily revolutionary. They are tools to make foreign worlds or situations accessible. These tools help to communicate that regardless of the world or situation, family is always at the core.

Having said that, I encourage you all to go see WIG OUT! at The Vineyard Theatre (click here for tix.) I don't want to say too much about the play, as it officially opens tomorrow. What I can say is that I believe this playwright is becoming a major presence in American theatre, and I find that very exciting. Keep your eye on this one!

Let the Slaughter Begin
In the last few weeks, three Broadway shows have posted their closing notices: [title of show], which closes October 12th, XANADU, which was supposed to close October 12th, but moved up its closing date and actually shuttered yesterday, and LEGALLY BLONDE, which closes October 19th to make way for WEST SIDE STORY this coming spring. So who's next? We're taking bets, submit your titles here folks! Someone's gotta close, considering the ridiculously long list of shows that are supposedly coming to Broadway this season. Since YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN just announced a tour and tickets for the Broadway production are available on TDF, I suspect one green monster will exit the Great White Way as another comes into town. I mean honestly, can you imagine two green monsters and a green witch all on Broadway at the same time? I suppose they could share make-up to cut down on costs, that would be an interesting story. Well we shall see as the season unfolds- it's already been wacky and it's barely gotten started!

No comments: